Censorship
Do you think censorship is necessary for the arts? I think some people might not know what it is and what it is doing. Censorship is some system of blocking information from being publish, such as, books, plays or films. I don’t like censoring the arts. If arts are censored, it will not be art. In my opinion censorship is necessary for some situations, but I don’t side with it when the department censor in the arts. I found three cases, and I want to tell you what it is working.
There is a movie, named ‘ Lust Caution’ by director Ang Lee in 2007. The State Broadcasting Film and Television Administration, which is the department of China which has the power to censor movies, videos and serials, censored the movie, cut off over 13 minutes of sexy screen action. They said: “The movie had too many sexual scenes and China’s censorship rules don’t allow that.” Also they cut off some violent scenes. After they censored the movie, the movie could play at cinemas, but it couldn’t play on television. A lot of people went to see the movie, but a critic said that, “After I saw it, I feel it didn’t connect very well and I feel it was like a book with some main pages torn off or a pizza without cheeses.” If a movie has been broken, it will not be art. Some people complained; they wanted to see the whole movie and not a part of the movie, but the movie still can’t play in its entirety. In my opinion, the censorship department doesn’t need to cut out sexual scenes from a movie and play it in a cinema because the movie just allow over 18-year-old to watch it. Then after they cut out the sexual parts of movie and allow it to play on television. Don’t cut out any part of movie because it is like art director’s baby; don’t cut art baby’s fingers or toes. A whole movie is art.
Even so the department censored the film, they also censored a naked statue of Greek God and it happened in California 2000. The statue was near an elementary school. Some parents gave the information to City Officials, and told them that the statue bothered their kids because it was naked. After that, the City Officials dressed the statue in a gold T-shirt. It is good for kids, but not all residents like the statue dressed up so people took the clothes off again and again. One resident Eric Ford said, “If the statue dressed, it would not be like an art.” So the City Officials decided that, only in some important meeting, they will dress the statue. I disagree what they did to the statue, this is just an art form Greek style. I think just move it away from school, don’t dress the statue because it breaks up arts.
If you think dress a statue is funny, what do you think a high school banned a book? Which name is “Bless Me Ultima”, and it took place in America 2008. It talked about American Indian religious traditions and Roman Catholicism. Critics say its anti-Catholic, so one parents complained. As a result Superintendent Rick Fauss Banned the book at Orestimba High School. He said, “It is a religious book so it doesn’t appropriate for everybody. However a scholar says, “It is just a book, why is it banned in the school?” It still can’t be read in the school. I think those students don’t care about religion, whereas their parents do care about it. It is a book and if students read, they just learn something good from the book whether it is violent books, religious books or sexual books. I couldn’t believe if you read a book about anti-catholic, you will become anti catholic. As well you don’t have to like what you don’t want to, but you can’t force other people to agree with you, ever if they are your kids.
I don’t know what you think about these three cases, but for me I don’t like what the department decided to do. These three cases make me to feel vulnerable because when the department decided what they did, they broke up artist’s dream. If arts always censor like that, who will be have energy to do and it is like they strangle artists’ abilities.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is a really cool essay. I like the second paragraph the best.
ReplyDeleteIn paragraph #1 -- If arts are censored, it will not be art. (I think it should be "they.")
In paragraph #2 -- A lot of people went to see the movie, but a critic said that, “After I saw it, I feel it didn’t connect very well and I feel it was like a book with some main pages torn off or a pizza without cheeses.” jsut cheese, not cheeses
In paragraph #3 -- Even so the department censored the film, they also censored a naked statue of Greek God and it happened in California 2000. Change EVEN SO to JSUT AS
In paragraph #4 -- If you think dress a statue is funny, what do you think a high school banned a book? Which name is “Bless Me Ultima”, and it took place in America 2008.
I would change this to read like this: You may think that dressing a statue is funny, but what about banning books from high school. This happened in ... to a book called "Bless...